The Animal Medical Center is the largest non-profit animal hospital in the world!
veterinary specialties such as oncology, cardiology, dentistry, ophthalmology,
neurology, and emergency and critical care. The center also offers services 24-hours a day and 365 days a year!
The Animal Medical Center doesn’t just provide the highest quality medical care, they also work to advance veterinary knowledge via pioneering clinical research and education programs that train future veterinary leaders.
The Animal Medical Center was founded in 1910 as a non-profit academic veterinary hospital dedicated to providing compassionate and collaborative care to animals. However, the center’s work began much earlier in 1906 when Ellin Prince Speyer founded the Women’s Auxiliary to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). Speyer believed that there were “branches of humane work especially suited for women,” so she and a group of like-minded friends worked to supplement the duties of the ASPCA. In 1909, the Women’s Auxiliary worked to establish a clinic and dispensary for pet owners who could not afford to pay for veterinary treatment. The clinic opened in 1910 on the Lower East Side of New York City, where it remains today!
When the Animal Medical Center was founded, several veterinarians volunteered their time, and care and medicine was provided from donations received from the public. This tradition carries on today with donations allowing the Animal Medical Center to provide life-saving veterinary care and sustain the programs that provide low-cost care to pet owners in financial need, hand-on training programs for veterinary students, and ground-breaking clinical trials that advance diagnosis and treatment for a wide range of veterinary conditions. If you would like to donate to the Animal Medical Center and help this important organization continue to thrive and meet the needs of our beloved companion animals then please, Donate Here!!